When we are babies, taking our first steps is celebrated to all levels of excitement! Moving those legs, balancing, being mobile like other grown up humans.....walking is a huge accomplishment. Walking, for me, is also a huge accomplishment. Walking in many ways.....
In Shanghai, and other Chinese cities, walking is difficult! I've been picked on a bit because I like to walk. But if you look at my history, I haven't been able to walk this much since college. Backpack hoisted, warm shoes tied, sunglasses and water bottle in hand - and here we go! So far, I've chosen to not purchase a bike or scooter for quick travel. Instead, I invested in a wireless FitBit monitor. It easily tracks all that I do. I can input weight loss, hydration, sleep patterns, calorie intake, etc. Otherwise it tracks all the moves I make each day. Technology is cool!
I commuted by car from Nevada to Maxwell, as well as from Muscatine to Davenport. I lived on the opposite side of town from MHS, so I had to drive to school. I worked two buildings last year, so I drove back and forth each day. That is a lot of time logging miles in a car.
Now I get to walk everywhere. To work and home, to eat dinner, to attend a concert, to get groceries, to go shopping, to consume Starbucks, to attend church, and to go anywhere. Yes, I ride the metro (subway), bus, or taxi. But walking is glorious. I give thanks that my feet, leg muscles, back, or anything else don't hurt on a daily basis. At times I average 20,000 steps each day.
The difficulty with walking is simple: walkers never have the right of way. Yes, the green pedestrian light signals when it is your "turn" to cross an intersection. Yes, there are crosswalks. Yes, there are law officers who help control traffic at busy times or in construction. But.....that does not make you safe. Buses, taxis, cars, scooters, bicycles, etc., all feel the need to turn in front of pedestrians. And almost run you over! Yield - you guessed it, the pedestrians have to yield or be flattened.
Everywhere I go.
Thankfully, I haven't seen any tire tread in the face, yet.
Darcy - 1, Shanghai - 0
#tochinaandback
No comments:
Post a Comment