Saturday, October 17, 2015

Orion's Belt

I try to be as transparent as life will let me be.  And I've kept no secret when it comes to this epic bout of insomnia (six weeks and running).  Tonight, I purposely had to wake up around 3am to make a business transaction with a place in the USA.  One of the cool things about my experience in Shanghai has been the beautiful skies, crisp weather, and the majestic views.  I've seen more fluffy clouds, blue sky, and green plants than I expected to find in an entire year.  And at night, I see stars.  Yes, even as the high rises clash with the night lights, you can still look up and see stars.

After I made my phone call, I decided to make a quick walk (about a block) over to the Family Mart. This is a convenience store that I see EVERYWHERE in Shanghai.  And I've heard they are all over Asia.  Hoping for a stellar night sky, I hurried downstairs to see what I would find.  And there was no disappointment.  The sky is clear.  The stars are twinkling brightly.  And as I look up above my apartment tower, I see the constellation, Orion.  And as clear as a night in the countryside of Muscatine County, I was staring at Orion's Belt.  

I find joy in little moments such as this.  In my lifetime, I've figured out that I don't believe in coincidence.  For me, God gives all kinds of minor blessings, such as those three stars in the belt, on a moment-by-moment schedule.  I'm thankful for this!  After a long, long, long Friday (and week), what a fun time I had, walking without fear of being hit by bikes/scooters/vehicles on the sidewalks and intersections.  I got to make my beverage and ice cream purchase, then walk home staring up at the brilliance in the sky.  Not sure that I've ever had such a big smile as I looked up at Orion's Belt.

Praise goes to the Almighty, our Creator extraordinaire - our Savior.

#tochinaandback

No comments:

Post a Comment